welcome

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please scroll to the bottom of page to read the notice if you are coming from the European Union...

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Forgotten History Found



I'd like to share with you what would be considered in the car world to be a "barn find" — something of great value you didn't know was there, assumed to be gone forever. This is the story of my grandfather's B-17 crew, based on a journal and photos found in his attic after his passing away.

The notes kept in the journal were made by the pilot Bill "Pop" Whitehead, and given to my grandfather as copies in a bound book. The photos featured here were found and scanned by myself. I can't verify who the photographer was, but they were taken by various crew members. According to Pop's obituary, there are still two surviving crew members. Hack passed away in 2005, at age 80. I'm proud to have his original bomber jacket, hat and dog tags in my possession.

The Tale Of The B-17 "Blind Date" Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment