welcome

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please scroll to the bottom of page to read the notice if you are coming from the European Union...

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

New Year's Quench

My wife and I like to save a couple of legal fireworks from our 4th of July celebration for New Years Eve. We keep them in anticipation of that wonderful moment when we get to bring in the New year. As the months go by we delight in the knowledge that we had prepared for our celebration. Why I even brag about it with my coffee drinking buddies. I see the envy on their faces...LOL.

Last night the awesome moment finally arrived. I got our first firework lit in the back yard, it went off with a lot of smoke and sputtering light. Here in CA they don't fly up into the sky, just kind of plume out a foot or two from a small cylinder setting on the ground. It starts slowly and works it's way into a great frenzy. Sparks and snapping noises combine to delight our eyes and ears as the smoke plumes around us. Wow, this is the best! I am like a kid in my joy.

As the first firework comes to an end we hear a terse female voice issuing from the darkness over in our neighbors yard saying, "Could you please not light fireworks?"

What!? I was blown away. My wife and I look at each other and remained silent in the darkness. Quench! All of our months of preparation for celebration shot down instantly. It is almost as if she were waiting in pre~anticipation to strike out at us.

As a Christian I accept my fate and we silently go back inside the house. My wife is upset, "How can she say that when all of her thoughtless, very noisy Halloween parties over the years last till 3:00 AM" she says to me. She continues to fume.

I have learned a hard lesson along my walk with God. When one gets offended one must never allow any kind of bitterness or walls to go up. Let it go immediately! Be done with it right at the point of offense, don't even let anything even get started. Windshield wiper the offense away like water off a duck's back...move on nothing here to see. Refuse the bait.

The New Year 2013 started with my first trial of the year. I hope I made it through...only time will tell...

How was your celebration?

In case you did not do Google yesterday or today.

No comments:

Post a Comment