welcome

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please scroll to the bottom of page to read the notice if you are coming from the European Union...

Monday, September 21, 2015

The Mystery Of The Disneyland New Orleans Train Station Morse Code Decoded


Ever wonder what the Morse code is when your sitting at the New Orleans train station at Disneyland in Anaheim California?


Today I visited Disneyland and while waiting for the train to come I listened to the clicks and clacks of the Morse code like I have since 1963 when i first heard it.

Each and every time that I have waited for the Disneyland train, there was the familiar and consistent tapping away of the Morse code key.

The thought occurred to me that there had to be a message, knowing that nothing at Disneyland has no meaning.

I know a guy at my local coffee shop who is a ham radio operator, so I figured that I would take a video with my phone and let him listen to it.

"Perhaps he knows Morse code and can tell me what the message is," I thought to myself.


Then I realized that now we have instant internet on our phones and so I queried google to see if anyone else had the answer.

Well I found the right guy to answer the question of the Morse Code.

His story is fascinating.


And the message?

"TO ALL WHO COME TO DISNEYLAND, WELCOME.

HERE AGE RELIVES FOND MEMORIES OF THE PAST, ...AND HERE YOUTH MAY SAVOR THE CHALLENGE AND PROMISE OF THE FUTURE."

A line from Walt Disney's speech on opening day at Disneyland July 17, 1955.

There is a bronze plate in Town square at the base of the flag pole.

Legend has it that Emile Kuri, lead designer for Disney Studios, had witnessed a car accident on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles.

The car had dislodged an antique street lamp from its base.

Kuri, paid $5 for the ornate lamp post and even offered to haul it away himself.

 Kuri then used part of that lamp post as the base for Town Square's 65 foot flagpole.

 Even though many predicted the park would fail, others knew this was an important event. An array of VIPs was invited.

 Movie stars, the Mouseketeers, California Governor Goodwin J. Knight, and even Walt's competition, Walter Knott (of Knott's Berry Farm) were in attendance.

Sometime in the late afternoon, Ronald Reagan announced to the TV cameras in a hushed tone, “And now, Walt Disney will step forward to read the dedication of Disneyland.” Then, the 53-year-old Walt stepped forward and read the following:

To all who come to this happy place:
- WELCOME "

Disneyland is your land.

Here age relives fond memories of the past … and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America… with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.
July 17, 1955


Disneyland Dedication Plaque
Here we see words from Walt's opening day speech for all to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment