welcome

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please scroll to the bottom of page to read the notice if you are coming from the European Union...

Saturday, August 01, 2015

I Installed Windows Ten And So Far I Am Very Pleased With It

 

The upgrade cycle begins, with Microsoft's latest operating system--the highly anticipated Windows 10--rolling out over Windows Update for free, for users of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.


 For those that are ready to take the plunge over the weekend, there are some things to note. So far, Microsoft has been rolling out the upgrade in waves and stages.

 If you are not one of the 'lucky' ones to be in the first wave, you can take matters into your own hands and begin the upgrade process manually. 

While the process is mostly simple, it won't be for everyone. 

 This guide steps through a few of the strategies and pitfalls

 There are two main methods to upgrade, either through Windows Update or through the Media Creation Tool. 

In either case, you will need to have opted-in for the Windows 10 Free Upgrade program to reserve your license.

 Currently, the Windows Update method is hit or miss due to the requirement for additional updates needing to be installed first and Microsoft's servers being hit hard, leading to some rather humorous error messages like the oh-so helpful description, "Something Happened."

 Currently, it would be best to avoid the Windows Update upgrade, at least for the time being. 

Numerous issues with licensing have been reported, requiring manual activation either through the dreaded phone call, or by running slmgr.vbs /ato at the command prompt to force license registration.

***

I got my notice to upgrade my laptop to windows ten. 

I followed the link and downloaded it.

 It took a very long time. When it finally got installed it asked me for my install numbers, which I didn't have because when I purchased my laptop windows was already installed.

 I was told that I had an "enterprise" version of windows and therefore could not proceed with my install.

I got on the net and searched for a work around. 

I could find nothing that interested me, I was frustrated.

Being a simple guy I wanted a simple solution, but most that i found got technical.

I then somehow stumbled upon a very simple solution.

 

You may like it.


I found this page to join Microsoft's "Insider program."   

I joined.

Click the  Get Started box at the top of the page to join. 

After you get signed up, return to the original page here. 
 
Then scroll down to the  " Get Started Already an Insider? Sign in" 
at the bottom of the page.

One of the links took me to a windows ten download page for an edition of windows ten that is an evaluation edition ( Windows Insider Preview) that would watch what you do in windows for testing and improvement purposes. 

Occasionally you will be getting updates first before they update everyone else, as in "Beta."

You will be sent inquires now and then to survey your experience with windows.

None of this bothers me so I installed Windows Ten Insider preview. The install was much faster than my previous attempt to install windows 10.

Although it still takes quite awhile.

 And thus far I can say that for me Windows 10 is a vast improvement over Windows.8.1.

On my laptop Windows Ten is faster and more responsive.

 The browser that comes with it is new and built from the ground up to work with the operating system.

 I took it for a spin, but being unfamiliar with it quickly reverted back to the familiar territory of my Firefox browser. 

Although I will be back using it to get familiarized with it because it was noticeably faster.

I did no back ups or anything, I went cold turkey into this update, with an all or nothing attitude.

I was pleased to see my prior desktop setup was all intact after installing Windows 10. :-)

Gone was the insane cursor activated sidebar irritant that I so hated. 

Every time my  cursor went to fast or happened to hit a side bar I would be interrupted with what I was doing by the resultant pop up page. I then would have to get out of the page and navigate back to what I was working on.

Now there is peace in the valley.

Good job Microsoft!

No comments:

Post a Comment